Frequently Asked Questions About Legally Changing Your Name

Whether you are marrying, divorcing, or simply wanting to take a new direction in life, a name change could be on your impending to-do list. If so, it is important to understand what will be expected of you in the process of legally changing your name, as well as, how to do so in the most secure way possible. After all, changing your name under law is a serious undertaking that requires certain legal obligations and commitments. So be sure you are fully ready and well-equipped before moving forward with the process.

Start by reviewing some of the most frequently asked questions about legal name changes, below.

Orlando Family Attorney
Orlando Family Attorney 407-887-7058

How Do I Change My Name After Getting Married?

In almost all states, in order to change your name legally after getting married, you have to file a petition with the court. In some states, all you have to do to change your last name to your spouse’s is submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate. Florida happens to be one of these states. Overall, the process involves various petitions, forms, deadlines, court hearings, and more. It also includes submitting a social security card application (Form SS-5) with the Social Security Administration (SSA), and then visiting the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) for an updated drivers’ license, vehicle title, and registration. There, you will also need to submit Form DS-5504 for a new passport.

How Do I Change My Name After Getting a Divorce?

The process of changing your name after a divorce is exactly the same as the process you took to change your name after getting married. Another option is to ask for your name to change back to your former name in your final divorce decree. In this case, all you would need to legally change your name on all of your official documents is a certified copy of the divorce decree. However, this varies independently from case to case, so always check with your trusted family lawyer before checking a name change off your to-do list.

How Much Does it Cost to Legally Change My Name?

The cost to change your name legally varies from state to state, and case to case. The average cost of legal name changes typically falls between $100 and $400. Possible payment obligations when legally changing your name might include court filing fees, fees for certified copies, attorney fees, newspaper notice fees, birth certificate name change fees, DMV fees, and more.

Which Documents Do I Need to Change My Name On?

All your official documents will need to show your name change. First priorities include passports, social security cards, and drivers’ licenses. You can add in your birth certificate too. After your name is changed, you will need to update your social media, office tags, airline reward profiles, and more.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Legally Change My Name?

Although a name change is mostly a straightforward process, for the average person, the petitions, paperwork, proofs, deadlines, and court appearances (yes, you’ll likely have to attend court to change your name) can be incredibly complicated and overwhelming. Not only is the process complex, it is important that it is carried correctly and congruently across the board. Documents like passports, professional licenses, drivers’ licenses, permits, social security cards, birth certificates, and more, are critical. For these reasons and more, it is strongly encouraged to hire a family lawyer to help you with the legal name change process. They are the solution to getting the task done right, the first time around.

Where Can I Get Name Change Legal Services in Florida?

Call the Law Office of Shane T. Herbert at 407-887-7058 for help with legal name changes in Orlando, Florida. From marriage and divorce, to alimony, child support, child custody, and everything in between, we can navigate all aspects of your family legal matters from start to finish. Our office is conveniently located in the Metro West area, within The Offices of Veranda Park, with ample free parking. However, office visits are not required for initial consultations, as we are happy to provide them over the phone or even video conference, if needed.

Shane T. Herbert, Attorney at Law
Shane T. Herbert, Attorney at Law 407-887-7058